1 a prearranged meeting for consultation or exchange of information or discussion (especially one with a formal agenda)
2 an association of sports teams that organizes matches for its members [syn: league]
3 a discussion among participants who have an agreed (serious) topic [syn: group discussion]
- A multilateral diplomatic negotiation.
- A formalized event where scientists present their research results in speeches, workshops, posters or by other means.
- An event organized by a for-profit or non-profit organization to discuss a pressing issue -- like a new product, market trend or government regulation -- with a range of speakers.
A conference is a meeting of people that "confer" about a topic.
- Academic conference, in science and academia, a formalized event where researchers present their results in speeches, workshops or by other means
- Business conference, an event organized to discuss business-related issues
- News conference, a media event in which newsmakers invite multiple journalists to hear them speak and, most often, ask questions
- Settlement conference, a meeting between opposing sides of a lawsuit at which the parties attempt to reach a resolution of their dispute without having to proceed to a trial
- Conference (sports), a grouping of teams, typically based on geography
- Conference call, in telecommunications, is referred to as a "multi-party call"
- Conference hall, room where conferences are held
- Football Conference, an English football league
- In the Netherlands, a solo cabaret act, a type of stand-up comedy lasting one to two hours
- Parent-teacher conference, a meeting with a child's teacher to discuss grades and school performance.
conference in Arabic: المؤتمر
conference in German: Konferenz
conference in Spanish: Conferencia
conference in Hebrew: כנס
conference in Lithuanian: Konferencija
conference in Dutch: Conference
conference in Polish: Konferencja
conference in Romanian: Conferinţă
conference in Slovak: Konferencia
conference in Finnish: Konferenssi
British Cabinet, Council of Nicaea, Council of Trent, Lateran Council, Sanhedrin, US Cabinet, Vatican Council, advisory body, airing, analysis, archbishopric, archdiocese, assembly, association, attention, audience, audition, bargaining, bargaining session, bench, bishopric, board, body of advisers, borough council, brain trust, bugging, bull session, buzz session, cabinet, camarilla, canvassing, chamber, chapter, circuit, city council, classis, colloquium, colloquy, common council, conciliarism, conclave, confab, confabulation, confrontation, congregation, congress, consideration, consistory, consultation, consultative assembly, convention, convocation, council, council fire, council of ministers, council of state, council of war, county council, court, debate, debating, deliberation, deliberative assembly, dialectic, dialogue, diet, diocesan conference, diocese, directory, discussion, divan, ear, eavesdropping, ecclesiastical council, ecumenical council, electronic surveillance, examination, exchange of views, eyeball-to-eyeball encounter, favorable attention, forum, hearing, high-level talk, huddle, interchange of views, interview, investigation, joint discussion, junta, kitchen cabinet, legislature, listening, listening in, logical analysis, logical discussion, loop, meeting, negotiations, news conference, open discussion, open forum, palaver, panel discussion, parish, parish council, parley, parochial church council, parochial council, plenary council, pourparler, powwow, presbytery, press conference, privy council, province, rap, rap session, review, round robin, round table, seance, see, seminar, session, sitting, soviet, staff, study, summit, summit conference, summitry, symposium, syndicate, synod, talk, town meeting, treatment, tribunal, tryout, ventilation, vestry, wheel, wiretapping